The Realogy Headquarters building, designed by KPF, is organized around a glazed, multistory atrium. Photo: Michael Moran
The new Madison, New Jersey headquarters for Realogy Holdings Corportaion, a real estate franchising company, is a warmly toned, welcoming building whose glass-dominated wings enclose a courtyard. Kohn Pedersen Fox designed the extensive reskinning of the suburban building, which was a Verizon call center in its past life with a minimally glazed, introverted facade.
Image: Bing Maps
Image: Google Maps
KPF's design strategy was to cut the central third out of the existing, essentially rectangular 225-square-foot (21,000-square-meter) original building, extending the two remaining pieces into long parallel wings running east-west. The resulting building has an increased area of 285,000 square feet (26,000 square meters).
According to the firm, the lobby is conceived of as an architectural promenade leading to the third floor by way of an ornamental stair that wraps around the perimeter the open atrium. The huge increase in facade glazing together with changes to the building's configuration result in increased daylight access in office spaces.
The building opened in a ribbon-cutting ceremony on July 21, 2013.
Entry courtyard and stairs. Photo: Michael Moran
- Location: 175 Park Avenue, Madison, New Jersey
- Architect: Kohn Pedersen Fox
- Contractor: Tishman Construction
- Landscape Architect: Nelson Byrd Woltz
- Client: The Hampshire Companies
- Type: Corporate, Office, Repositioning + Transformation
- Area: 285,000 square feet (26,000 square meters)
- LEED Certification: Silver (target)
- Energy Use Intensity (EUI): Not available.
Before and after views of the Realogy Headquarters western facade. Photo: Michael Moran
East facade view. Photo: Michael Moran