|The new Sigmax headquarters, in Enschede, the Netherlands, was designed by Paul de Ruiter Architects. Photo: © Pieter Kers|
The 2,500-square-meter (27,000-square-foot) building has been designed in the form of a "stacked pavilion," whose horizontal lines and extensive glass facade with rounded corners emphasize spaciousness and transparency. The glazing comprises large, rectangular floor-to-ceiling panels whose joints align with the building's structural grid. And quarter-circle glass panels form the rounded-corner bridge between adjacent facades.
|The rectangular floor-to-ceiling glass panels of the Sigmax building's facade are sized to the building's structural grid. Photo: © Pieter Kers|
|Each floor plate of the Sigmax headquarters cantilevers well beyond the glazing, providing shade. Photo: © Pieter Kers|
The design of the new Sigmax building is compact. The floors are planned with efficiency in mind, using a flexible layout that combines discrete office "cells" with open office spaces. Each floor is organized around a central atrium. And a prominent white spiral staircase provides the primary vertical circulation path, offering glimpses between floors.
|The main spiral staircase of the Sigmax building. Photo: © Pieter Kers|
|The ground-floor lobby and staff dining space of the Sigmax building. Photo: © Scagliola Brakkee Fotografie|
In addition, the building's 45-centimeter (18-inch) floor plate also embodies many of the building's HVAC systems, which are kept concealed from view where possible.
|Moss grows on top of the cantilevered portions of each floor plate. Photo: © Sigmax|
- Project architect: Paul de Ruiter Architects, Amsterdam
- Project team: Paul de Ruiter Menno Kooistra, Haik Hanemaaijer, Willem Jan Landman, Niels Groeneveld
- Interior architect: Ex Interiors, Nieuwegein
- Project architect: Odette Ex i.c.w. Jessica van Boxtel
- Landscape architect: OKRA landschapsarchitecten, Utrecht
- Advisor construction: Lucassen Bouwconstructies, Hengelo
- Advisor installations: Deerns raadgevende ingenieurs bv, Rijswijk
- Construction management: Kloos2, Ambt Delden
- Photography: Pieter Kers, Daria Scagliola, Toon Grobet
|At a landing of the spiral staircase. Photo: © Scagliola Brakkee Fotografie|
|A rounded corner of the Sigmax facade. Photo: © Scagliola Brakkee Fotografie|
|Looking up through the center of the spiral staircase. Photo: © Scagliola Brakkee Fotografie|